Organic land management seeks to minimise the disruption to the natural environment and work to integrate ecological means of building soil fertility and managing pest and diseases in crop and livestock production.
It is a set of standards that are inspected by a governing body to ensure the producer is adhering to them and are advised on how to improve their existing practices. Below are 5 reasons to choose organic.
- The best way to reduce your exposure to pesticides in all foods is to buy organic. Certified organic food including all fruits and vegetables will overall contain fewer pesticides. Many people don’t realise over 320 pesticides can be routinely used in non-organic farming and these are often present in non-organic food
- A study conducted by Oxford University concluded that on average organic farms worldwide contain 34% more species of plants and animals, and up 50% more pollinator species.
- Recent studies show organic production results in higher levels of some nutrients in food and lower levels of undesirable pesticides and chemical residues.
- To help Save our Soils, Soil is one of our most important natural resources and without it we would starve. Organic farming creates a healthy living soil that is more resistant to droughts and floods.
- Combat climate change. If organic farming was common practice in the UK, we could offset at least 23% of UK agriculture’s GHG emissions through soil carbon sequestration alone!